Monday, March 7, 2011

Iron & Wine

 Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 the band Iron & Wine, a folky alternative rock band came to the Ancienne Belgique in Brussels. Some girls from my art class were going and since I was a fan of the band, I figured why not go see a concert while in Belgium. We got to the concert, which was sold out, only to realize that people in Belgium do not dance to the music. I understand that Iron and Wine isn’t a big rock it out kind of band, but it’s still a sway to the music kind of group. The realization that Belgians literally stood still shocked me! Even after songs, they didn’t really say anything. In the US after a band does a song most people are shouting and clapping, cheering on the band, but this crowd was not having it. Even on songs when the lead singer would say something to the effect of “let’s get you guys moving” the crowd would remain in one place. The girls I was with and I were dancing it up to which I heard whispers to the effect of “they must be American.” How rude! The best part of the concert was at encore when the lead singer did an acapella version of my favorite, “Flightless Bird, American Mouth.” It was truly a moving performance and for that we were as close as you could get. Had I stuck my hand out I would have touched his leg.


Iron & Wine encore at Ancienne Belgique
Can we please talk about how we are as close to the lead singer as allowed? aka AWESOME
techies at work after the show. This is where I learned that persistence pays off as I ended the night victoriously with the drummer's towel!
Ancienne Belgique, what a sweet venue!
I apologize for this being blurry, but that giant white blob around my neck is the towel!
 After the concert, I just stood and watched the techies quickly pack up all the gear as fast as they could in preparation for tomorrow’s gig in France. While waiting, I ended up getting the towel of the drummer completing my goal of the night: to get something from the band!

No comments:

Post a Comment