Monday, March 28, 2011

The BIG 2-1!


The next day is one of my favorite days of the year, my birthday. And it wasn’t just any old birthday; this year it was my 21st Birthday! Despite the fact that I’m in Europe and the legal drinking age in some areas is 16, I still wanted to relish in the fact that I was now 21, and was lucky enough to get to spend it with my family, and in Europe no less!

My day started off pretty normal, I left Mom and Aunt Barb to their own bidding since I had to intern. Normally, I wouldn’t have had any problem missing my internship, but since I started late I need to check up on the hours that I put in to make sure I complete all 150 hours that the school requires. Also, I really enjoy going to my internship, so it’s never a hardship for me to go. If I could I would only intern, not go to school, just intern all day long. But alas, I am in school, so that’s that.

At my internship they surprised me with more birthday wishes: everyone in the office sent me birthday emails (all 5 of them!) and they got me a cake! NOM NOM NOM! Klaus, the founder of the company, wasn’t able to be there since he was on tour with one of the shows and was upset to find out that there was cake, so sent everyone a text saying, “Cake makes you fat.” What a gem! But then he made it up for it the following week with waffles of his own. Something I would like to note about birthday cakes in Europe, they are so fancy! None of this of I bought a box of cake mix and put some cheap frosting on it, NO, Europeans go all out with their cakes. Each one I had looked like a gourmet chef had created a masterpiece, and it tasted that way too!

Anywho, so at my internship I was not only surprised by the thoughtfulness behind the cake and the actual cake, but also by the fact that I finally was invited to see a rehearsal. I saw a Busy Rocks rehearsal performance of Fields. It’s a dance show that is part modern dance; aka movement under the black marley and the other part is the two women describing the field. For the first 10 minutes, its really nothing, just them under the Marley moving, no sound, just the audience watching the black move. When you first see something like that it makes you think really, any child could just run around under a tarp, but then the longer you are sitting their watching the field slowing transform and envelope the once flat surface, you begin to imagine nature and think about our path through life. Then with the speaking you really get an idea of what kind of hardships the land has gone through. Its not a piece for everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it.

After getting the chance to finally see some theatre in Brussels, I was off to meet Mom and Aunt Barb for a fancy dinner of mussels at Chez Leon. Dinner was so scrumptious! We had mussels, fries, ice cream, and beer; what’s there not to like about Belgium again?! After dinner, we walked about a block to see the Peeing Girl. In order for Belgium to better embrace gender equality they constructed a peeing girl to match that of the peeing boy. Classy.  From there, we went back to their hotel and planned out our meeting time for the next day and split ways. I had planned on going to a party since it was after all my 21st birthday, but since I knew we had to get up early in the morning I decided against it and simply went back home around midnight.
Aunt Barb and Mom looking fancy at Chez Leon.

NOM NOM NOM Birthday ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment