Monday, March 28, 2011

France, not all the movies make it out to be!

Movies that tell you lies about France:

Hunchback of Notre Dame: tells you its chill to be hunchbacked and sing on top of a famous church. True life, you try singing up top of Notre Dame or talking to the gargoyles people are going to think you've gone cra cra.

Anastasia: gives you quite a few bad ideas for instance, when you think you can't you'll find you can-can. Or the ever classic: When your hearts says don't, the french say do. What does this even mean? This lyric right here is why Anastasia is not a Disney movie. Ladies of night are not allowed in Disney movies. Also, Anastasia convinces young girls that they will find love in Paris instantly, false. As a 21 year old who recently went solo to get a glass of champagne on top of the Eiffel Tower, its not instantly the place for romance.

Beauty and the Beast: the moral of the story is if you love someone ugly they will transform into someone beautiful, real world doesn't work that way nor does it seem to include giant libraries or talking furniture. Sigh.

Passport to Paris: when I went to Paris for the first time age 16, I thought cute boys on Vespas were going to drive me around and show me the city, instead I got dragged around by my french class. Not quite the exciting tales that the Olsen twins had. But they did tell me the joys of having McDonalds in Paris. Yes, its tacky, but also delicious.

An American in Paris: told me people would love me if I were American, that they would find my accent simply irresistible. Simply arrogant seemed to be more of their train of thought.

Ratatouille: convinced me it was ok for rats to be part of the cooking process in France. If you see rats anywhere near your food in a French restaurant don't stop and think Remy, NO, run away. Do not stay to see what other surprises the cooks have waiting for you.

Artistocats: told me jazz what the cat's pajamas. Frankly, I don't think this movie misconstrued my image of Paris in any way. But it did bring to my attention just how many Disney movie are set in France!

Moulin Rouge: convinced me for the longest time that its ok to drink absynthe and that its ok to work at the Moulin Rouge, neither of these are things that you should do when trying to figure out your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment