Friday, October 15, 2010

That's it, I'm running away to the circus!

Kids, today I only have one thing that I want to talk about: Cirque de Soleil's production of La Nouba!

Two nights ago I realized something. I need to start doing all things that I want to do before the holidays arrive and everything is either jam packed full of people, too expensive, I don't have enough time, or its simply sold out. So I came to the stellar conclusion that I need to start having more fun and check off those things on my Orlando To-Do List. Random side-note for everyone, so you may recall that basketball game that I said I was going to go to, funny story went with Amanda to get our tickets, and they have sold out not but 5 minutes before we got there. Sigh. Anywho, so since Amanda's mom was in town, we decided we needed to see Cirque de Soleil because when else am I really going to get the chance to see it. Similarly, when will I ever get to see it again with a discount!

So Wednesday morning (10/13/10), I awoke got dressed for my leadership seminar later that day and met up with Amanda and her mother to purchase our tickets. I ended up getting three: one for me, one for my roommate Hilary, and one for my other roommate Nicole. We ended up getting tickets in the second blue section of seats, and they were amazing seats. To be honest, I don't think there was a bad seat in the entire house. Well after we got the tickets, I went back to my apartment to get ready for seminar. Eventually I made it to seminar. I'm taking an exploration series class about leadership in the Walt Disney World company. We did a group activity where we were split into groups based on our jobs and from there we had to figure out what our managers do each hour of their day. Mostly it was a time management exercise, it was kind of interesting. I have faith that the rest of the classes will be more networking type-things.

After that I went grocery shopping with Dakotah, finally! It had been quite a while that I had been rocking no-groceries, so it was a much needed event to occur. And from there I got myself ready for Cirque. Everyone had told me to read a summary of the show, but I had been too excited, so forgot until I got to the theatre.

The theatre as seen from outside
Let the memories begin! Me and my ticket!
All I can say about the show was it had everything you could have ever wanted in a circus and more. It had clowns, fun ones, not creepy dodgey ones. It had a juggler who could balance a 5 ft pole on his head while juggling, then juggle whatever he was juggling into the holes on the pole. I don't think I could have gotten the balls to get into the holes even if I weren't juggling! There were trapeze artists, who were doing things that made you hold your breath and hope they wouldn't die. There was a tight rope walker who had a woman do a one-handed hand stand on his head, while he was walking the tight rope! There were these cute little girls who were doing tricks with the Chinese yo-yo. There were intense jump ropers, and men on trick bikes jumping over folks and doing all sorts of things.
This is part of the show when the stage opened up to be a trampoline.
The stage converted into a giant trampoline and people were "falling" off buildings onto the trampolines and horizontally walking up the walls. What they were doing looked like something one would see in the Matrix. The stage also dropped down these huge silk-type cloths where gymnasts would climb up the cloth and roll themselves up in it, to simply unroll themselves in it up in the air. They also had a person unicycling and another person doing the German wheel. Plus, there was a live band playing along with two singers doing all the music! All-in-all, this show was EPIC! Words I feel simply do not do it justice.

As a theatre major I tried to figure out how they did it all, but to be honest I had trouble simply just figuring out what was happening on stage. There would be so much happening that I felt like I had ADD looking around the stage all over the place like a child. Seriously, this show was awesome, if you have the time go see it! After the show ended, I was truely stunned. I had a chat with the sound board operator and heard a little bit about how she got the job. And then she told me that Cirque does tech theatre internships, so the minute I got home that's all I could look up. What a great experience to witness these people's talents and what great fun being with friends to enjoy that experience with.
I bought the program of the show because it was soooo good!
Me, Amanda, Hilary, and Nicole after the show.

1 comment:

  1. The juggler on La Nouba is one of the best in the entire world! I'm glad you like the show. Next summer, if you're back in Minnesota, I'll take you to the circus here and show you kids doing the same things. :)

    ReplyDelete