Thursday, May 5, 2011

Au Revoir Paris!

The next day was April 13th, and our last day in Paris. Since the Missouri kids had already left back to Brussels, there were only about 14 of us left and the whole dynamic of the trip had changed. Everyone was ready to be done, including Martine. Despite this fact, we continued to learn and see things, as if we would do anything else!

So, that morning we got up, ate breakfast, put our luggage into the hotels storage area, aka their dinning room area, and what was left of the class went off to the Arenas of Lutetia. They reminded me so much of the Roman Forum Baths that we saw in Trier.

 From the Arenas, we ventured over to the gardens of St. Julein le Pauvre, where I gave my stellar presentation on Moliere. Once that disaster of a speech had come to a close, we ate some cookies, passed by the bookshop Shakespeare and Company, walked across the Sienne to Notre Dame. No matter how many times I go inside Notre Dame, I am impressed by its magnitude and beauty!
this is where I gave my speech, pretty huh?

Notre Dame
Once we finished up with Notre Dame, we broke off for lunch. Then met back up at the Hotel de Ville, only to have it be closed during the time that we were to have a tour. Brr...Martine was not pleased. So, we were free for the next hour and half to wander. Elisa, Casey, and I broke into a hotel to use their bathrooms, then walked along the river looking at the sales. After our hour break had run out, we returned to the Hotel de Ville, not to visit the Hotel de Ville, but to visit the Sainte Chapelle located right next to it. The Sainte Chappelle is known for its 1100 biblical scenes in stained glass.
outside of Sainte Chapelle

inside Sainte Chapelle
  Next, we went to the Mussee d'Orsay to see the Manet exhibit, which hadn't been there when I went with Mom and Aunt Barb, so it was cool to see. After that, Casey, Dane, and I went to the Moulin Rouge just to say we saw it, and after a few pictures Dane and I split from Casey to return to the hotel to get our luggage to make our train back to Brussels.
Mussee d'Orsay
Moulin Rouge
 In the end, I would say Paris was a hot mess for ART 361, but an overall success! I had a truly great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment